Siblings from Minnesota die in fatal fire while on vacation Columbus
COLUMBUS (WSYX/WTTE) —
It happened just before 6 a.m. Tuesday on Walmar Drive on the north side.
The aunt of 9-year-old Kathryn Foster and 12-year-old Aaron Foster says she doesn't know how to tell her sister back in Minnesota that both of her children died in a fire at her home.
Her niece and nephew were in town visiting family.
The aunt, 23-year-old Anastasia Amatulli, jumped out of her back bedroom window to escape the fire.
She said the flames started in the basement near her son's space heater.
Her son, Ryan, ran through the house to alert his mother and cousins before getting out the back door.
Neighbors tried to break down the front door to save Aaron and Kathryn, but couldn't.
Her body was found in the hallway. His body was found a foot from the front door.
The family started a fund at Huntington Bank under the name Ryan Amatulli.
The fire department says it will release a cause once autopsies are complete.
Police say there was a working carbon monoxide detector in the home. They are unclear if there were working smoke detectors.